On the one hand, I'm really excited about the chance to get back into a work environment to do something that doesn't start and end at the Jake (Jacobs). My only professional experience so far has been at IBM, and I want to find out if I can do well in a different industry/career/role or if my past success was a fluke.
On the other hand, I am a bit nervous about the potential pitfalls. In particular, what if I end up sucking at the work; like no matter how hard I try, I am just not cut out for it. That would be a bummer. Or what if I end up hating the work in general? It's one thing to read about it and hear about it second-hand, but it's another thing to actually do it. Fortunately, all of the BCG folks that I've met so far have been amazingly helpful, down-to-earth, and friendly, so I am fairly certain the work environment will be great.
The way I see it, my summer experience can end in 1 of 4 ways:
- I like the work, and I get a job offer. That would be great!
- I like the work, but I don't get job offer. Total bummer, but at least I have some insight going into full-time recruiting to help me direct the job hunt. In this scenario, I also revisit my original "essay" answer on post-Kellogg career objectives, because I still find myself drawn to those goals as well.
- I don't like the work, and I get a job offer. This is a tough situation, and it's really hard to predict how I would handle it.
- I don't like the work, and I don't get a job offer. It sucks that things didn't work out, but at least I walk away knowing that consulting isn't for me. Then I definitely revisit the essay answer and go from there.
|Like the work||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|Get a job offer||Yes||No||Yes||No|
As you can see, I have a 50% chance of happy face, a 25% chance of indifferent face, and a 25% chance of sad face....so clearly the odds are in my favor!
I'm sure I'll have plenty of more time to think about this in the 5 day period between my last final and my first day on the job, but for now, I have to pack and wrap up some HW for the week.